The cultural development of pupils is shown by their:
- Understanding and appreciation of the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped their heritage and that of others
- Understanding and appreciation of the different cultures within school and further afield as an essential element of their preparation for life in modern Britain
- Knowledge of Britain’s democratic parliamentary system and its central role in shaping our history and values, and in continuing to develop Britain
- Willingness to participate in and respond positively to artistic, sporting and cultural opportunities
- Interest in exploring, improving and understanding of and showing respect for different faiths and cultural diversity, and the extent to which they understand, accept, respect and celebrate diversity, as shown by their tolerance and attitudes towards different religious, ethnic and socio-economic groups in the local, national and global communities.
Where is this in Kings Furlong Junior School?
- In our school we have good links with the local community and we have regular visitors who come in to share their cultures e.g. religious groups, Chinese New Year, other nationalities
- In our RE lessons the children explore different cultures and develop an understanding of their beliefs and attitudes.
- The Young Interpreters in our school are an active group that have regular meetings where they discuss their cultures. They have created a large display which shows where in the world the children come from.
- Children carry out book studies in their English lessons that explore a variety of cultures. Also much of the reading schemes that we use to teach reading are based in a variety of cultures.
- In both singing assemblies and music lessons children learn to sing songs from other cultures.
- In MFL the children have learnt about France including the differences within British culture and French culture. This has also included other countries that speak French.
- During project work the children learn about the cultures of the countries that they are exploring through art, food, laws.